Saturday 21 April 2012

P Piracy on the high seas

Area of pirate activity
P Pirates
Pirates and danger were the last thought on my mind when I signed up for the Hong Kong to Dubai cruise. I had read about intrepid or stupid sailors in small boats being captured by Somali pirates, and vaguely also remembered a reading about  pirates attacking a small cruise ship a couple of years ago  but a ship the size of the Queen Mary 2 - it never occurred to me that it would be a serious risk. But Cunard took this seriously.
The first indication that there was any concern about pirates in the area was the two crew members stationed on each side of one of the upper decks, each with some kind or equipment - I think it was radar - that would enable them to detect any boats approaching our ship.
Then there was the announcement  by the Captain and a written warning that as we traverse the Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea and Gulf of Aden, a high level of security would be enforced  to counter the rsk of piracy. We actually had a passenger drill  about what to do in the event the ship was attacked.
You can read more about this in my travelblogue. I will add the link later.
But foolish or not, I must say I appreciated the precautions and never felt at risk. Here when we think of Pirates, the first thing that comes to my mind is Johnny Depp. Unfortunately in too many parts of the world, pirates are not creations of Hollywood and Disneyland rides - but the real thing - vicious and dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.