Saturday 28 April 2012

Y is for Yogurt

Y Yogurt with almonds, walnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, sometimes with strawberries and blue berries, comprises one of my two usual breakfasts.
my favorite yogurt
The other is an omelet with chives, mushrooms and parmesan cheese. Both yummy and a great start to my day.
As for yogurt, I eschew any flavoured forms, preferring to add my own fresh fruit to the mix. I also shun the "healthy" non-fat yogurts which taste thin, acidic and often a bit slimy to me. My favorite yogurt right now is one from La Belle Provence. Quebec's Liberte, who have been producing cream and cottage cheeses since 1936, make the absolutely most delicious plain yogurt shown in the picture. It is smooth and creamy, almost a dessert on its own.
Yogurt is of course a milk product produced by the fermentation of milk by bacterial cultures. They break down the lactose or milk sugar to produce lactic acid. The milk is first pasteurized to kill any harmful bacteria and then cultures of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus, are added to start the fermentation process. When the amount of live bacteria present in food is sufficient to have a biological effect, such as preventing antibiotic related diarrhea or digesting lactose, the product can be labelled probiotic.
Because the lactose in yogurt has been broken down, yogurt is a great source of calcium for people who are lactose intolerant and otherwise would avoid milk products.
Well I am off to enjoy my yogurt, with nuts, seeds and berries, and a large mug of steaming coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.